There's really no way to sugar coat it. If you don't like the way you're dressed, you won't like your final images.
I've seen it time and time again. Families frantically throwing together outfits for their session, running late, putting makeup on in the car, etc. Pure chaos. And sometimes clients didn't love their images as much as they should have because of what they chose to wear. And let's be honest. It's actually 100 percent my fault. During those sessions, I did not prepare my clients enough ahead of time, and offer advice and guidance for a cohesive wardrobe for the whole family.
I want you to love looking at these images for years to come, and I want you to love the way you look in them! Check out this adorable family below, who you should take fashion advice from!
Don't let a BAD outfit decision ruin your session! Here are a few tips:
* Pick a pattern or outfit (like mom's dress) to start with. Then work the other family members in to coordinate! Mom is usually the hardest one to shop for!
* Don't mix patterns. For example, dad wearing plaid while baby is in stripes will not work well togetherr. Stick with solids over patterns, or keep it subtle.
*Don't match completely.... think coordinating outfits & complimentary colors, not matching completely. If you think it's a good idea for everyone to wear jeans and plain white shirts.... it's not. At least not anymore!
* SHOES! Wear nice clean shoes. We are often walking trails or in tall grass, so some nice flats are perfect for summer, or cute boots that compliment your outfit.
* Layers and texture are always nice! I LOVE a nice flowy skirt or dress.
* It depends on the season, but light & bright colors are always nice.
* Accessorize and DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE NAILS! Nothing too
* If we are outdoors, avoid green. An outdoor session will almost always have a decent amount of greenery, and I would hate for you to get lost in the background!
* HAVE FUN & PLAN AHEAD! You'll be so much more excited about your session if you have everything ready to go ahead of time. Enjoy shopping and getting the pieces together!! I want every step of the process to be fun.
I have created Pinterest boards with inspiration for different types of sessions. Below is a link to the family clothing guide for some super good eye candy! It'll make you want to go shopping!